Nancy Murray began painting in watercolor in 2008 at the urging of her sister and daughter, both accomplished watercolor artists. Primarily self-taught, she has learned from painting with other artists and taking workshops. Her source of inspiration is the natural world and the structures we have added. Her landscapes are painted “en plein air” in her home state of Michigan. By painting outdoors in watercolor, she strives to capture the transient, sensual essence of a scene.
An interest in wildlife and travel photography has supplied her with subject matter for many paintings of birds both backyard and exotic. She recently completed a series of paintings of markets in Central and South America and the South Pacific which depict the blend of culture, commerce and colorful costumes.
Her work is characterized by vibrant colors, lyrical shapes and the interplay of light and shadow.
Recent Juried Shows and Awards
- Painting selected for “Art Around Saline” outdoor print display, 2017-
- Michigan Watercolor Society Show, 2015
- Great Lakes Plein Air Painters Show, Crooked Tree Arts Center, Petoskey, MI. Honorable
- Mention for “North Shore Marina.” 2014
- Our Town, The Community House, Birmingham, MI. Artist in Residence. 2014 –2015
- Prints of paintings are in the permanent collection of Chelsea Community Hospital.
Back to Participating Artists.