My introduction to plein air painting was in California during my first college watercolor class. I have been in love with both watercolor and plein air painting ever since that time. I love the spontaneity of working with watercolor outside; the intensity of the colors, the feel of the atmosphere and the joy of interacting with mother nature, sometimes good and sometimes not so good, trying to capture the moment and the mood. Michigan weather keeps me in my studio during half of the year, but I try to get out as often as possible.
I have been a commercial artist and an art teacher in both private and public schools, and now, in my retirement, I am devoting my time to watercolor painting full time. I have a Bachelors degree in Art Education with a concentration in commercial art. I have also studied with many internationally acclaimed watercolor artists in order to hone my skills. Some of the artists that I have studied with include: Mark Mehaffey, Frederick Graff, Linda Daly Baker, Judi Betts, and Robert O’Brien.
I have participated in Dexter’s plein air festival for the past 2 years. During this past year, I have been lucky enough to have traveled to Montana and Maui to paint plein air, and I hope to add Dexter to this year’s list.
Some of my past exhibits and awards include:
- Michigan Watercolor Society: 2012 Traveling, 2013, 2014 Traveling, 2015
- University of Michigan – Dearborn 2011, 2012, 2014
- MAE Purchase Acquisitions Numerous Juror’s Choice awards, Best of Show 2014
- Upcoming Solo Exhibit at the Lansing Arts Council scheduled for July, 2016
- 25th Annual International Society of Experimental Artists Exhibit 2016 Bethlehem, PA
Back to Participating Artists.