Artist Participation Requirements
Artists participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival in one of two categories; Professional or Emerging.
All participating artists must meet certain basic requirements. Artists interested in participating in the Professional Artists category have additional requirements.
See the appropriate section below to understand your participation requirements.
- May 15 – Professional Artist Registration and emailing of digital images and bio (text only, no pdfs)
- May 29 – Notification of accepted professional artists.
- July 15 – All Artist registration fees due to City of Dexter
Professional Artist Participation Requirements
To participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Competition as a professional, you must submit examples of your work for review by a jury of artists. If you are selected you will receive an invitation to participate for the prize money in the professional artist category.
A limited number of professional artists will be selected to compete and exhibit. This juried event is open to all artists 18 years and older and all mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache and pastels.
Below are the basic requirements to participate in the professional artist competition.
- Complete the Plein Air Registration form and select the “Professional” competition category
- Select how many paintings you plan to enter in the competition.
- Indicate if you plan to participate in the Quick Draw Competition.
- Send the following to email@example.com by replying to your Registration Confirmation email
- Attach three (3) digital images of artwork you created for judging by the jury (see details below)
- A short bio describing yourself (300-400 words)
- The Jury will review all submissions and select a limited number of artists to invite.
- Past year professional award winners are not subject to jury selection but still need to register to participate.
- If invited to participate as a professional send your registration fees before July 15 via check to City of Dexter.
Artwork Submission Requirements
To gain entry as a professional artists, applicants must submit three (3) digital images of their work and an artist bio. Images should be saved as separate jpeg files at 300 dpi, each labeled with your name, title of the piece, dimensions, medium and substrate (e.g. Claude Monet “Water Lilies #17”, 9”x12” oil on panel).
No single file should exceed 2MB in size. All images must be of original “plein air” artwork, created by the applicant artist within the past two years.
All entries must be submitted by May 15 and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Online Registration form
- For the JURY images and bio, please add the words “Professional Festival Entry” to the subject line
- Your bio should be e-mailed to the same email address with your images.
- Please provide your bio in plain text if possible (no pdfs)
- At artist discretion, we will create a dedicated page highlighting you and your juried images.
Notifications will be emailed to all artist applicants by then end of May. A list of accepted artists will also be posted here in June.
Emerging Artist Participation Requirements
To participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Competition as an emerging artist you should start by reviewing the artist’s guide. Registration and a participation fee are required to participate.
A limited number of emerging artists are accepted to compete and exhibit first come first serviced. This event is open to all artists 18 years and older and all mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache and pastels.
Below are the basic requirements to participate in the emerging artist competition.
- Complete the Online Registration form and select the “Emerging” competition category
- Select how many paintings you plan to enter in the competition
- Indicate if you plan to participate in the Quick Draw Competition
- Receive an email confirmation with fee reminder
- Send your registration fees before July 15 via check to City of Dexter.
Entry Fee Requirements
All artists are expected to pay the appropriate registration fees by sending a check and a $10 registration fee made payable to the City of Dexter, 8140 Main Street, Dexter, MI 48130. Professional artists are expected to pay registration fees upon acceptance notification. Fees are based on number of pieces submitted and the competitions for which artists register.
Commissions on Sold Artwork
A 30% commission on all artwork sold during the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival will be retained by the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee, with all event sales handled by the City of Dexter. All proceeds from the art sale will go towards funding the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee.
Payment to artists for work sold will be mailed within 30 days after the event ends.