In order to participate in the Paint Dexter Plein Air Competition as a professional, you must submit examples of your work for review by a jury of artists. If you are selected you will receive an invitation to participate for the prize money in the professional artist category.
A limited number of professional artists will be selected to compete and exhibit. This juried event is open to all artists 18 years and older and all mediums including oils, acrylics, watercolor, gouache and pastels.
- May 15 – Registration, email digital images and bio.
- May 29 – Notification of accepted professional artists.
- July 15 – Registration fees due to City of Dexter
Professional Artist Participation Requirements
The list below provides the high level requirements to participate in the professional artist competition.
- Complete the Plein Air Registration form and select the “Professional” competition category
- Select how many paintings you plan to enter in the competition
- Indicate if you plan to participate in the Quick Draw Competition
- Send the following to email@example.com
- Three (3) digital images of artwork you created for judging by the jury
- A short bio describing yourself (300-400 words).
- The Jury will review all submissions and select a limited number of artists to invite.
- Past year professional award winners are not subject to jury selection but still need to register to participate.
- If invited to participate as a professional send your registration fees before July 15 via check to City of Dexter.
Artwork Submission Requirements
To gain entry as a professional artists, applicants must submit three (3) digital images of their work and an artist bio. Images should be saved as separate jpeg files at 300 dpi, each labeled with your name, title of the piece, dimensions, medium and substrate (e.g. Claude Monet “Water Lilies #17”, 9”x12” oil on panel).
No single file should exceed 2MB in size. All images must be of original “plein air” artwork, created by the applicant artist within the past two years.
All entries must be submitted by May 15 and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Complete the Online Registration form
- For the JURY images, please include the words “Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival Entry” in the subject line.
- Your bio should be e-mailed to the same email address with your images.
Notifications will be emailed to all artist applicants by then end of May. A list of accepted artists will also be posted here in June.
Entry Fee Requirements
Upon acceptance notification send a check for registration fees based on the number of paintings you selected via the online registration form and a $10 registration fee made payable to the City of Dexter, 8140 Main Street, Dexter, MI 48130.
Commissions on Sold Artwork
A 30% commission on all artwork sold during the Paint Dexter Plein Air Festival will be retained by the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee, with all event sales handled by the City of Dexter. All proceeds from the art sale will go towards funding the Dexter Arts, Culture & Heritage Committee.
Payment to artists for work sold will be mailed within 30 days after the event ends.